The Cardiff Cricket Club was inaugurated at the meeting held in the White Lion Hotel on the 5th May 1845. It rented a field at Longcross which was in the area where the Cardiff Royal Infirmary is now located. Three years later the land was required for the construction of the CRI necessitating the Cardiff Cricket Club to move to The Park The Cardiff Arms Park. The Cardiff Rugby Club, then known as the Cardiff/Glamorgan Football Club, became partners with the Cardiff Cricket Club in 1876. Both Clubs played alongside each other in front of the old Cricket Pavilion on the Cardiff Arms Park.
The third Marquis of Bute and his successor allowed the use of the ground at a peppercorn rent of one shilling per annum. In 1920 the fourth Marquis of Bute declared his intention to dispose of the Cardiff Arms Park portion of his estate given the Cricket and Football Clubs the first option of purchase. The agreed terms were 30,000. These terms were unanimously accepted and the Cardiff Arms Park was formed with a nominal capital of 20,000 in 5 ordinary shares and 10,000 5% debentures to complete the purchase and so preserve the home of the two clubs. Subsequently, the two clubs amalgamated to form the Cardiff Athletic Club with full license from the Company to use the ground. The Tennis and Bowls sections were added in the mid-twenties followed by the Ladies Hockey, Baseball and Golf sections in the thirties. The Cardiff Hockey Club joined the Athletic Club after the end of World War 2.